Signs of a Gas Leak
Many homes use natural gas for heating and cooking, and although natural gas is a valuable resource, gas leaks are an extremely dangerous accident that homeowners need to watch out for. The signs of a gas leak are subtle, but the effects can be detrimental to your health and your home. Never ignore the warning signs of a gas leak. If you suspect you have a gas leak, contact an emergency gas line repair expert like Environment Masters immediately so your house can be properly inspected and the gas leak can be professionally taken care of.
The warning signs of a gas leak include:
- Hissing sound – A hissing sound coming from the area around the gas appliance is a definite sign of a gas leak. Call a gas leak detection expert immediately.
- Rotten egg smell – Natural gas is delivered to the home with an odor additive in order to make leaks easier to detect. If you smell the scent of a rotten egg inside your home, this could be the sign of a natural gas leak.
- Physical symptoms – Headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and irregular breathing can all be symptoms of a gas leak. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and suspect it is caused by a gas leak, call a professional immediately.
Signs to look for outside the home:
- Dying plants – When there is a gas leak, plants near the leak will become sickly and die. If your plants are dying for no apparent reason, it could be the sign of a gas leak in the nearby area.
- Unknown breeze – A gas leak can cause dirt or plants to be blown as if by a mysterious breeze. If you see a breeze that has an unknown cause or air coming from the ground near the home, it is a possible sign of a gas leak.
- Bubbles – Moist areas will bubble as a result of a leak in a gas pipe.
The most important thing to do if you suspect a gas leak in or around your house is to stay calm. If you can do so safely, turn off the gas. No matter what, leave the house as soon as possible and call a professional immediately. If you recognize any of these warning signs or suspect a gas leak in your home, call the expert Jackson plumbers at Environment Masters at 601-353-4681.